The area of the valley between Schwanden and Kottweiler was mentioned as early as 1600, when it was still called „wilte Schwane“. „The wilte Schwane is a little meadow valley, holds a little pond for herself, is owned by the subjects“ (p.62). „Schwane“ comes from the Middle High German „swende/swant“ and means pasture and arable land that was gained by removing the undergrowth. The lower part consisted of meadows and was used intensively, especially after the Thirty Years War, while the slope to the adjacent Blumenberg was cleared of bushes, but was not used. It looked wild and was in an intermediate stage of cultivation. The name arose from the word „Joch“ or „Juch“ in the dialect. At that time, the plowing was done with oxen that walked on the Joch/Juch (yoke). What two oxen could plow in one day in the „Doplejuch“ was popularly referred to as the “Joch” (yoke). The valley with the area of a yoke was popularly called – so the assumption – „Juckesstal“ (1755) or „Jockelsthal“ (1782).